Powering people
at work and play



Consider contracting your builder or electrician to arrange the private service line, temporary builders supply, electrical inspection, and site livening.

The person who books the job pays the bill.  So, if you book the service the account will come to you.  That account will include any extras– like penalty fees if your electrician doesn’t have things ready on the scheduled electrical inspection day.

Also consider asking for a written assurance from your electrician that the design and their standard of work will meet the Electrical Safety Regulations and the local Requirements for Electrical Installations, and that all costs of doing this are included in their quoted price.

By law your power can’t be connected until these standards are met.  Sometimes the electrical inspectors arrive on site to find the job is non-compliant and things can’t be put right without major cost.

What is a private/service line?

As defined in Section 3 of the Electricity Act 1992 the point at which the “Works” owned and operated by Counties Power stop and the ”Electrical Installation” owned by the connected user commences is called “the Point of Supply (POS)“.

Although generally all assets and fittings on the distribution side of the POS belong to Counties Power, while those on the customer’s side belong to the customer, there are some exceptions such as:

  • Counties Power will own and maintain certain equipment on a connected user’s premise, including a meter, smart meter and/or load control relays.
  • For High Voltage connections between the Counties Power distribution system and the connected user’s system the POS the normal connection arrangement is that the transformer (and the structure, i.e. pole) is owned by Counties Power even when located on private property.

The Point of supply for low voltage service “mains” is defined as follows:

  • The primary defining feature is the last LV fuse before the service “Mains” enters a building
  • Where the fuse is in the road reserve or other public area, the point at which ownership changes from Counties Power to private is at the property boundary of the customer, whether it is an overhead or underground service
  • Where the LV fuse is located inside a private property the ownership transition is at the fuse and the pole or pillar where the fuse owned by Counties Power is mounted.

How long does it take to get connected? 

Every project is different, so we'll work with you to understand your specific needs. From your initial application we aim to respond within two weeks (10 working days) and set expectations on design parameters, delivery time frames (for both a quote and an indication on likely construction lead, start and finish times) and in starting the scope process. The size and complexity of the project, and seasonal development demands can also affect our time frames, but we’ll keep you informed.

Your cooperation in providing required information and gathering the necessary consents and approvals from relevant agencies prior to design finalised is therefore really important to a positive outcome for your project.  Once we receive your approved agreement, with payment, we’ll be able to programme the work and give you timeframes for delivery and completion’.

100% advance payment will be required prior to works commenced and lead times for the construction can vary between two weeks to three months depending on the type of work involved.

Whom can I use to get connected?

Your electrician will be able to organise the connection with us and to take care of service mains into your property, however only Counties Power Approved Contractor can make connection to our networks. Those contractors are familiar with safety requirements, with our standards and procedures for any work on our networks.

WHat is a service main?

A service main is the power line or cable that connects your premises to the Counties Power network.

Can i discuss new connection issues with someone at counties Power?

Yes you can. You will need your reference number and contact details of the person looking after your application, then give us a call 0800 100 202 or email 

If you need to have a meeting in person we can accommodate this but you should contact us in advance to arrange a suitable time to see one of the team.


Latest Updates