What is an inspection and why do i need one?
By law, power can’t be supplied to a new or renovated building until it has passed an electrical inspection. This is the final check to ensure that there will be a safe supply of power to your property once your electrician has completed their work.
How do i book an inspect and liven?
- Set up an energy contract with your nominated energy retailer. This is an agreement between yourself as a power consumer and an energy retailer to whom you will pay your monthly energy bills. You must have a contract in place before electricity can be livened to a premise.
Request a meter installation through your energy retailer. To turn the power on at the property a meter must be installed. There are a few different types of inspections depending on where you are in a build and what type of connection you have. We recommend that you seek the guidance of an electrician to ensure that you request the correct inspection type and that the site if ready for inspection as failed inspections incur an extra fee.
Please be aware that before power can be permanently turned on at a property, a Certificate of Compliance (COC) must be issued for both the internal wiring and the mains cable by an authorised electrical contractor.
Counties Power receives the request to install a meter, test and liven your supply from your energy retailer.
- BTS - Builders temporary supply: Counties Power charge $315+GST. A BTS is installed during the building process so that your builders can power their tools. A BTS is set up as a business supply.
- Permanent supply: Counties Power charge $385+GST. When your build is complete you will need to change your BTS supply to a permanent supply. The meter will be installed inside your mains board. Your retailer will discuss with you the correct supply tariff to apply to your connection.
- Current transformer (CT) metering: Counties Power charge $495+GST. Any connection that draws over 100 amps requires a current transformer (CT) to be built into the mains board on the Counties Power network. Your electrician will be able to guide you on the CT metering requirements.
- Site Inspection: Counties Power charge $215+GST. If your site has not been connected for over 6 months, or you have made alterations to the mains, meter boxes or any part of the mains supply you will require your site inspected prior to liven.
- Upgrades or downgrades: Counties Power charge $215+GST. If you are changing the supply at an installation your site will require inspection.
Site not ready charge: If your site is not ready or does not pass electrical tests on the day you will be charged in full, and your inspection will need to be rebooked.
Cancellations or changes to bookings within two working days of the job will be charged in full. (if we are unable to rebook our inspector)
- Payment and booking of inspection. from the 1st April 19, Counties Power requires up front payment of inspection charges prior to booking. When we have received a request from your retailer we will get in contact to provide you with a payment link for the inspection type requested:
- An invoice will be sent to the bill payer for the inspection which includes a link for the online payment of the inspection.
- Once the payment has been received by Counties Power, your inspection date will be confirmed.
how long does it take to book an inspection?
We aim to have all bookings processed within 5-business days of the retailer request. However bookings can only be confirmed once payment for the service has been received by Counties Power.
Counties Power undertakes inspections on week days (excluding weekends and public holidays). Bookings can be requested as morning or afternoon appointments only. Our normal working day is 7:30am until 4pm.
How will my booking be confirmed?
Bookings will be confirmed by email, phone or text message once payment has been received by Counties Power. Cancellations or changes to bookings within two working days of the job will be charged in full. (if we are unable to rebook our inspector)